Friday, August 6, 2010

Night Nine: In Which I Play A Pillow & Get Caught In A Time Loop

1) My boyfriend calls. He is house-sitting for a rich woman and has thrown a party, which has quickly gotten huge and out of control. I encourage him to ask everyone to leave immediately, lest someone call the cops, and after a brief argument he agrees. A few minutes later he shows up at my house, followed shortly thereafter by many of his party guests. I think that perhaps he misunderstood my suggestion, and I quickly begin asking everyone to leave my house. While I am out in the driveway, I find a small muddy area of my driveway that is covered in cigarette butts. I suspect that this is a baby duck nest, so I dig around a bit to confirm this. I find baby ducks that are no bigger than a dime.I clean it out quickly and make sure the ducks have clean mud to thrive in, while also making sure to cover them back up with the mud so as not to expose them to the elements before they're properly grown.

2) I am living in a college-dorm type situation with three other people, who are not present at this time. There is an old man giving me money, and although his intentions are probably good, I am severely creeped out. I am extremely stoned (from something that happened outside the time frame of this dream) and decide to attempt to play the piano. I am playing Bach's Minuet in G Minor, but having trouble getting the proper notes to come out although I know the piece very well. I look down and realize I am trying to play a pillow, which would explain the difficulties I'm having. I move on to the actual piano, placing the pillow instead on the bench for comfort. With the added height of the pillow, I have trouble getting enough leverage to climb onto the bench and eventually give up.

I decide instead to watch a new feature film that Regina Spektor has released. On screen are Regina and her friend, discussing options for pillows to place on a piano bench. Her friend suggests that they sew a feather pillow for this purpose. I realize I am too stoned and have been watching the film for an hour without absorbing any of the plot, so I start it over.

3) I set off to meet my boss at her apartment, where she will give me her keys & prepare me to housesit for her. I call to tell her I've arrived, and she is irate over the fact that I'm a few minutes late. I wake up, and it was a dream, but I need to get to my boss' apartment a.s.a.p. I get a ride from a family friend. When we arive at the complex, it more closely resembles a college campus; dining halls, clubs, and creative signs abound and we quickly get lost. I call my boss for further directions and she is irate over the fact that I went to her apartment and not our place of employment, where she asked me to meet her. I lose my cool and remind her that she maintained either would be acceptable, and tell her it's ridiculous for her to be so angry.

-End Scene-

Epilogue:
Upon awakening a second time, confirming that I am actually no longer dreaming, and checking the time, I got ready and successfully met my boss at her apartment, sans ire.

No comments:

Post a Comment